Cole slaw... Crunchy... Refreshing... Fulfilling... A classic everybody should have in their portfolio...
This is the version with a vinaigrette dressing from Better Homes and Gardens with my revisions.
I like my cole slaw with a hint of sweetness; I believe when too much sugar is added to the vinaigrette it takes away from the flavor of the vegetables that is brought out by the vinegar.
Ingredients: (Serves 4-6)
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup (about 2) green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- Put the first 6 ingredients into a jar or plastic container (with a lid). Close the lid very tightly, and shake vigorously.
- Combine the vegetables in a large salad bowl. Pour the dressing onto salad and toss to coat. Chill for 2 hours before serving if you have the time or serve immediately.