Here's the creamy version of the classic cole slaw which we more commonly see at restaurants all over America.
This recipe from Better Homes and Gardens (with my revisions) calls for celery seeds which is a great way to add a hint of that rich celery flavor to the salads and other types of dishes for people like me who do not like biting into a piece of fresh celery.
Ingredients: (Serves 4-6)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup (about 2) green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- In a bowl, stir together the first 5 ingredients.
- In a large salad bowl combine the vegetables.
- Pour mayo mixture over them and toss to coat. Cover and chill for 2 hours, if you have the time; or serve immediately.