Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 1/2 tbsp flour
- 3 heaping tbsp tomato paste
- 4 1/2 tbsp milk
- 4 cups chicken/beef/vegetable stock
- Ground black pepper
- Shredded Kasseri cheese, for garnish (optional)
- In a pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and mix until smooth. Cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and mix until smooth.
- Gradually add the milk and mix, making sure there are no lumps left. Cook for 1 minute or until you see the mixture start thickening.
- Gradually add the stock, mixing well after each addition and making sure the mixture is smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat, taste and add salt and pepper to your liking. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheese.
- I would personally use Kasseri cheese for garnish. But you can use any cheese you like, just make sure it is a type of cheese that melts nicely, since you want to see the cheese oozing out of the soup when you spoon it. (Yum!)
- For me personally, the salt amount of the stock is enough (since I prepare my stocks with bouillons), so I do not put additional salt. But you can, if you think it's necessary.
- This is supposed to be a creamy soup, so make sure you smooth out the lumps after each addition. You can also strain the soup before serving. And do not use skim milk, since you need some fat to achieve creaminess; you can use whole milk, half-and-half, 2% or even 1% milk.