This dish was inspired by the Peasant Potatoes of Le Peep, one of our favorite breakfast places as a family. We've always been happy with their speedy service and tasty, satisfying food. (Check this link for locations and the menu http://www.lepeep.com/locations.php ) As a potato lover, the one thing I always look forward to eating at Le Peep, more than anything else on my plate, is their peasant potatoes which they serve in place of hash browns. Below recipe is just my home-made version that I enjoy when I can't go to Le Peep.
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 2-4 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 to 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon Mc Cormick Grill Mates Garlic & Onion Medley Seasoning
- You need a large skillet with its own lid. Melt the butter in the skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the potatoes and mix to cover evenly with butter.
- Sprinkle the seasoning and mix to cover the potatoes evenly with seasoning.
- Saute them a few minutes over medium-high heat, until they develop a nice thin crust, but are not burned. Turn the potatoes if necessary with a plastic or wooden spoon to saute evenly.
- Lower the heat to low and put the lid on. Cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, but not falling apart.
This recipe makes 4 side servings (or just 2 servings, if you like potatoes as much as I do..:)). But as the picture shows, I would also enjoy them as a main dish with a big dollop of plain yogurt. Le Peep serves them with sour cream.